Each year the Environmental Working Group (EWG) produces (no pun intended) a list of what they call the dirty dozen of fruits and veggies. This is a list of the top 10 dirtiest and most pesticide-ridden fruits and veggies on the market. Certain fruits and veggies are either grown using an unusually exorbitant amount of pesticides and chemicals, or they have a softer outer shell that absorbs harmful chemicals more so than others (the banana, for example, is not on the list as its tougher outer shell protects it. Eat more bananas.). The EWG suggests that we should still eat our fruits and veggies, regardless of harmful chemicals…but that we should limit our exposure to these dirty dozen, or buy them organic (don’t waste your money on the others). So, here is the list of the EWG’s dirty dozen of fruits and veggies (ones that I try to avoid or buy organic), and as a bonus, I have also included my Dirty Dozen For Life (things I try to avoid in life, in general, and why). Enjoy.
EWG’s Dirty Dozen of Fruits and Veggies
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Nectarines (imported) (imported fruits can sometimes have lower regulations)
- Grapes (esp. imported)
- Blueberries (domestic) (in this case, it’s the domestic ones you need to be careful of)
Ryan’s Dirty Dozen of Life…And Why
- 1. Movies with nudity – come on, we’re not 13 any more (not that it was all that healthy back then). I am a happily married man, and there is only one woman I want to see nude any more…my wife.
- McDonald’s – Where do I begin? How about by asking us to imagine what our food industry might look like if McDonald’s never gained traction.
- Talkative guys at the gym – I’m sure you’re a great guy. And I am happy for you that you are getting into shape. And that’s great about your new boat. It’s just that I need to be to the office in an hour and I still need to work my core.
- Fighting/Violence – like I said, we’re not 13 any more. We can talk it out. Let me buy you a latte.
- Being Johnny Too Cool – Johnny Too Cool’s miss half of life playing the wall, trying to impress…well, anyone. Johnny Take A Chance is much more fun to hang with.
- Making little kids feel bad – Little kids are fragile creatures with hearts of gold. Don’t ruin it.
- Exaggerating – I NEVER exaggerate! Never! Ok, well, I try really hard not to, at least.
- Bragging – I know this is redundant…but we’re not 13 any more. Ok, ok. But bragging really just makes others feel bad, and makes the bragger sound kind of ridiculous. Right?
- Socks with Sandals – No Minnesota…you are NOT exempt from this. If it’s too cold to go without socks…wear shoes!
- Always being busy – Life is better enjoyed when we slow down to take notice. In the West, we have become addicted to being busy, and it’s not good. Allow for boredom, silence, and reflection…it’s like water to the soul.
- Facebook profile pictures taken with one hand while pretending not to be looking. At least have someone else take it for you! It would seem less weird.
- Staying comfortable – the world is a jungle out there. So what. Find some buddies, and machete…and go explore.