Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Strawberry Colada Smoothie (aka The Luscious Stalwart, aka The Pink Smoothie)


So I’ve had some feedback on the avocado smoothie and it sounds like most of you weren’t afraid to try it. I like that. I like that about you. And it sounds like you all liked it very much. (I do realize that there are probably some of you out there who did try and didn’t like it…so thanks for not mentioning it in front of everyone in the comment section. I appreciate that.)

I wanted to offer up another of my favorite smoothie recipes. This one is especially kid friendly. My kids go crazy over this one…and I bet yours will too. At my house, we call it the “Pink Smoothie,” for, well, obvious reasons. (I tried to get my kids to call it “The Luscious Stalwart”…but it just didn’t stick. So “Pink Smoothie” it is!)


1.     1 - 1 ½ cup of milk (or almond/rice milk if you don’t do dairy)
2.     ½ pineapple (core included, but not the shell)
3.     ½ cup of Coconut Cream (to taste…I like a bit less than ½ cup, but Katie likes it sweeter, so ½ cup it is!) I use Goya Cream of Coconut. Cub Foods carries it in the ethnic foods section for a bit over $2. One can lasts about three batches.  
4.     A large handful of frozen (or fresh) strawberries (you can always do more or less depending on how pink you like it.)
5.     6 ice cubes
6.     BONUS: if you have an aversion to the color pink, or simply want to add some greens, toss in a handful of spinach. You won’t be able to taste it, but you probably won’t get away with calling it the “Pink Smoothie” any longer – it turns a bit greenish. No worries, though – just revert back to calling it “The Luscious Stalwart!” It will catch on!

Pineapples come loaded with vitamins and minerals including vitamins A & C, potassium, calcium, and phosphorus. Plus, like so many fruits and veggies they are packed with fiber but low in fat and cholesterol. Bonus: Whenever I eat a Pineapple, I feel like I’m sitting on a beach somewhere near the equator, ankle deep in clear blue water with palm trees offering me their shade. Exotic. (Sheesh….I need to get out of Minnesota more often…)

Strawberries come with as much vitamin C as oranges do (some even claim that this little red powerhouse contains more!), plus they taste amazing!
 
And as for the spinach…well, it helps your muscles get bigger. Right?



If you try the “Pink Smoothie”…err, “The Luscious Stalwart” let us know how it goes in the comment section. Especially tell us how your kids liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment