Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Thank you, McDonald's French Fry Guy!



I love(d) French fries. Back when I used to eat at McDonald’s and other fast food restaurants, the French fries were the darling of my meal. I would often ask the pimply faced teenage kid at the register to wait until a new batch of fries were made to serve me up some golden goodness because who wants old fries, right?

Actual Size
But alas, just like the boiled meat from Taco Bell, the dinosaur shaped “chicken” from McD’s, and the Super Big Gulps from 7-11 that were large enough to drown a small deer in, I have had to say “goodbye” to this old friend.

After a few months in a French-fry-less stooper, in which I walked around like an NFL player with a concussion (sorry, too soon?), I discovered an alternative. (Cue the hallelujah chorus!) Homemade Sweet Potato Fries!

Here is why the Sweet Potato is worth a look:
·      They are packed with antioxidants
·      These fibrous vitamin (C, iron, calcium) bombs are great for digestion
·      They are high in folate
·      They come loaded with potassium which can aid in muscle cramping and prevent injuries
·      You can grow them yourself!

While reading Tony Gonzalez’s All-Pro Diet book, I stumbled upon a recipe for making sweet potato fries, which brought me out of my stooper. Tony Gonzalez, remember, is the All-Pro NFL Tight End who decided to become a vegan and shares his secrets in his book. Here is the recipe:

3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼” thick slices
2 tablespoons of oil (Tony recommends macadamia nut oil which requires a bank loan for most of us to continually purchase, so I use olive oil)
Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
Pinch of ground red pepper (or another of your favorite seasoning…just don’t overdo it on the sodium)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Sprinkle the potato slices with oil and then toss them in the mix of seasonings
3. Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes on each side or until golden brown and soft on the inside (I tend to bake mine for longer since I like them crispy)

I still love fries…just a different kind these days. And I still check on that pimply-faced teenager every now and again. He quit McDonald’s and got a job working at Chipotle Mexican Grill. He worked his way up to become General Manager, got married, had a couple of kids and lives in the country. A happy ending for both of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment